Sunday, November 28, 2010

After the Party

Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. We invited my in-laws over this year and as usual, they got lost. I do live ten miles behind enemy lines in a fancy-pants rich, hilly neighborhood (well, in my mother's fancy-pants rich, hilly neighborhood) but you'd think if someone had already been to your house several times they'd find their way back, relatively easily. Not the case.
Here's Me, Myra, and Great-Grandma!
While we waited for showtime, my husband took photos of us around the house, getting ready-Freddy.

Yes, I did fold all of them. WITHOUT IRONING. blast!
 It was a pain in the patudie to set this all up, since I changed the plates three times. THREE TIMES! I was going to put out the really nice, fancy, grandmother's grandmother's china, but then I thought: oh, shoot, I don't want anyone breaking my plates! so I set out my not-so-classy floral ones, and oops... I only had nine or them, because the tenth is at my mother-in-laws after traveling there with some chocolate-chip cookies. So I laid out the plain white chunky ones and hid them under some napkin art. (it's the bishop's hat fold) All in all, I'd say it was well worth it.

Starting at the obvious fruit salad going clockwise, we had: Fruit salad, Yams, Ikea's Sparkling Pear Juice (classy!), Champagne Basted Turkey, Gravy, Home-cooked Rice Pilaf, and Cranberry-Apple Chutney. Delicious!
Delicious food = Happy family!
So I must remember for next Thanksgiving not to freak out too badly about table arangements, people are going to sit where they can and eat regardless. To pick out my clothes the day before so I don't try on everything and bore my husband to tears with the phrase "does this look okay?". And most importantly: to consolidate shopping lists with my mother so we don't buy so many freakin' yams.

No comments:

Post a Comment